Gwalior remained the capital of Central India from 1957 to 1956, but when Central India was added to Madhya Pradesh, it was given the shape of a district.
This district was named after a famous fort. The name of this famous fort was derived from the name of hill. This flat summit mountain was called Gopachal, Gopagiri, Gop Parvat or Gopadri. The word Gwalior is coined from it.
The history of Gwalior was traced to the 8th century AD. Is planted in, Suraj Sen was suffering from a fatal disease and cured by a sage-saint Gwalipa. In gratitude for that event, he established the city under his own name.
The new city of Gwalior has existed for centuries. The cradle of great dynasties ruled the city of Gwalior. Along with various dynasties, the city gained a new dimension from warrior kings, poets, musicians and saints who contributed to making it famous throughout the country. The city is also established for the monuments of freedom fighters like Tatya Tope and the indomitable queen of Jhansi.
The state was founded in 1549. The first rao 1626/1656 of Rao Bhagwan Rao, Datia and Baroni, obtained Datia and Barauni from his father, Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha and established his kingdom. After he died in 1676, the state came under British control, along with other territories in Bundelkhand, under the Treaty of Bassein in 1802. The treaty with the Peshwa was formed.
The ancient title of the ruling family was Maharaja Rao Raja, but in 1865 the British government recognized the title of Maharaja as hereditary only. For the British, the Peshwa maintained a military force consisting of 945 cavalry, 5203 infantry and 3 million cannons.
The motto of the royal family was Veer Dalap Sharandah (“Lord of the Brave Army, Giver of Refuge”). In 1896–97, the state suffered from famine, and to a lesser extent again in 1899–1900. After the independence of India in 1947, the Maharaja of Datia accused India of dominance, which later merged with the Union of India. Datia, together with the rest of the Bundelkhand Agency, became part of the new state of Vindhya Pradesh in 1950. In 1956, the Vindhya Pradesh was merged with some other territories within the Union State of India to form the state of Madhya Pradesh.
The present headquarters of Guna district was established on 5 November 1922 in Guna city. Guna Isagarh (now located in the district Ashoknagar) was a small village in the district before the 19th century. Isagarh, which is located between 250-700 and 700-550 East, was conquered by the kings drawn by the Scindia’s commander, John Verester Philors, and named it Isagarh in honor of Lord Jesus. In 1844, there was an army of Gwalior in Guna, due to the revolt, in 1850 it was converted into a British Army camp. In 1922, the cantonment was shifted from Guna to Gwalior and on November 5, 1922, the district headquarters was shifted from Bajrangarh to Guna. In 1937, the district was renamed as Guna in place of Isagarh and Isagarh and Bajranggarh were made tehsils, which were later renamed as Ashoknagar Guna tehsils respectively.
In 1948 Raghaugarh was incorporated as a tehsil. In 2003, Ashoknagar was separated from Guna and made a separate district.
The area of present Ashoknagar district was part of Chedi state of Shishupal in Mahabharata period and Chedi district in district period was part of Chanderi state in medieval period. In the sixth century AD, the Chanderi region (area of Ashoknagar district) used to come in Avanti, Darshan and Chedi districts. Which was a part of the states of Nand, Maurya, Sunga and Magadha. It is believed that Ashoka, the great emperor, stayed in the area one night while conquering Ujjain, hence the name of this area was Ashoknagar. After the rule of the Naga dynasty Magadha Sunga and Shako, it became part of the Harshavardhana empire after the rule of Guptas and Moukhari. In the 8th – 9th century AD it fell under the Pratihara Rajput dynasty. King Kirtipala, the 7th descendant of the Pratihara dynasty, founded the city of Chanderi in the 10th-11th century AD and made it the capital of his kingdom. Jejak Bhukati Chandel also briefly ruled here after the Pratihara dynasty ended. Chanderi kingdom was repeatedly affected by the attacks of Mahmud Ghaznavi in the 11th century AD. After the establishment of Delhi Sultanate, Ottoman Afghans and Mughals ruled here. During the reign of Chanderi Bundela ruler Morprahalad, Gwalior ruler Daulat Rao Scindia sent General John Baptiste to attack Chanderi. He captured Chanderi, Isagarh and the surrounding areas. Raja Mardan Singh, the last Bundela ruler of Chanderi, made the supreme sacrifice as a freedom fighter in 1857–58 AD.
Shivpuri, an ancient city and a sacred place in Madhya Pradesh, was earlier known as Sipri. The history of this place dates back to the Mughal period. The dense forests of Shivpuri were once royal hunting grounds. Situated at an elevation of 478 meters above sea level, the city is one of the most exotic attractions, making it a very peaceful destination for tourists.
According to the legend, the city is named after Lord Shiva. Until 1804, the city was known as the paradise of the Kachhwaha Rajputs. It was then ruled by the Scindia dynasty. Apart from this, Shivpuri also has importance with freedom struggle because it is the place where the great freedom fighter Tatya Tope ji was hanged.
The forests of Shivpuri were formerly hunting areas of the Mughal emperors. Whether you are on a holiday or adventure tour, you will love traveling between thrilling wildlife and historical places.